Wednesday, August 27, 2014

First week - Icebucket Challenge, classes and recreation center

Short summary: My first week here was awesome :). I've made a lot of new friends and did a lot of things with them. And I don't forget the serious things: classes started this week as well.

Now I will give more details. On Thursday I was nominated to the ALSIcebucketChallenge, so I obviously accepted the challenge (at Friday). It wasn't as cold as expected, but it was really fun. Here is the video:



On the evening we met with a few international students and some Americans at a dorm suite to play some video games and chat a little bit.
The next day, we played disc golf at a state park near to the university. The goal in this game is to throw the disc to the basket with as little tries as possible.



On Sunday, we went to a cinema on Pullman Square and watched "The Guardians of the Galaxy". Finally the serious part of life also has to come, so on Monday the classes started. I had Spanish and Software Engineering on the first day. I think Spanish will be very hard, because we have quizzes every week and there will be a lot of vocabulary to learn. Software Engineering on the other hand will be a cool course - we will design a little "social network" for researchers, so that they can specify their activities and ask questions to the community. The third course I had on Monday was Psychology. I think this course is going to be very boring. The teacher is saying something, and then she has to wait because everyone wants to write it down (me included :D).

But besides studying there is also the time to do some other activities. I was at the recreation center a few times. It is really huge. You can do a great variation of sports there. From muscle training to racquetball (nearly the same as squash) to swimming and every kind of ball sports. There are 5 courts, where you can play basketball or badminton, 3 racquetball courts and two floors with muscle training machines. Furthermore, there is a running track inside the recreation center, which is really useful because outside even in the evening it is very hot and there is a high humidity.

Outdoor cinema on Tuesday (the new Godzilla movie - I wouldn't recommend it :D):



And here a few more photos:



I'll write the next post probably on Monday (Labor Day). We are planning to spend the weekend in Nashville, but it is not 100 percent sure. We have to rent a car, and maybe we must have an American driver license. But I'm looking forward to have an awesome time in NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment