Thursday, October 2, 2014

Week 5 (and 6) - Climbing Test and Greek Festival

I am a little bit late with my weekly post. I had a lot of work to do and so I didn't take the time until now to write a short update.

University Life:
The midterm exams are coming now. I'm having at least one exam the next few weeks, so I constantly have to do something. I also have regular assignments to do, but I there is still enough time for funny things.

Last Tuesday and Sunday we went to the Pullman Square Cinema and watched "Let's Be Cops" and "This is where i leave you", respectively. On Wednesday and Friday Marjolein and I had climbing classes and on Saturday we made the test - so now we can climb whenever we want. On Thursday there was a salsa night and on Friday we went to a small rock concert where a local indie rock band played. Furthermore, we went to a "Greek Festival" on Saturday. There was a dance and music show and (for the Americans more important) Greek food and deserts. This week then on Tuesday there was a game night where we played Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and so on. This was a very nice event. What's more, today (Thursday) we will go bowling and afterwards we'll go to Jake's, a bar in downtown.

I also opened a bank account, because you need an American debit/credit card to book rooms in hotels (You have to enter the address and you can only select American addresses...). But it wasn't as easy as I thought. I was about 40 minutes at Chase bank until they told me that they won't accept my type of visa/DS-2019. Afterwards I went to a smaller bank (City Bank) which accepted my documents and I created an account in less than 30 minutes!

Next week I will also try to make the first part of the driver license test. I really have no idea how hard the theoretical test will be, some students told me that it's very difficult, because there are many rules which only apply to West Virginia whereas other students told me that you can do it without much learning.

By the way a few fun facts about the city where I live in:
  • Huntington is the fattest city in the United States (And the USA is the fattest country :)). Almost 40 percent of the population is obese!!
    Source
  • Huntington is one of the most depressive cities in America. About one third of the population in the Tri-State-Area area reports depressions (I don't know if you can really trust this measure)
    Source

Tomorrow we will go to Chicago and hopefully the bus will not break down this time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment